:: SPECIAL INTEREST FRIDAY ::
CHRISTMAS CAKE RECIPE
Stable on the Strand needs lots of Christmas Cakes for our Hospitality area. Are you able to make some fruit cakes and donate them to Stable?
Delivery required by 27 November to Mt Louisa House of Praise for our Cake Cutting Afternoon.
Enquiries: Tammy Burns : 0478 411 168 : firstname.lastname@example.org
Christmas Cake Recipe
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 kg mixed dried fruit (preferably Sunbeam)
1/4 cup brandy or cold tea
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 160′ – 170′. Lightly grease a tall 22cm (9inch) square cake tin. Line the base with baking paper.
2. Put the butter, sugar, mixed fruit, brandy and 3/4 cup water into a saucepan. Stir over a low heat till butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10mins. Remove from heat, stir in the soda and let it cool.
3. Sift the flours and mixed spice into a large bowl, make a well in the centre.
4. Add the lightly beaten eggs to the fruit mix and mix together. Pour into the flour and mix well.
5. Pour into the tin and smooth the surface.
6. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hrs or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake. If it is going to brown on top then lightly cover with alfoil.
7. Leave in the tin for at least an hour before turning out.
– Cooking, a common sense guide : Family Circle 2004